Summer Diving Camp
The University of Iowa Hawkeye Diving Camp offers an intense and fun learning experience based on the fundamentals of diving. Coach Todd Waikel and his staff will use all our resources and experience to help you achieve your goals. This is done in a positive, family friendly environment.
- 2 to 3 training sessions daily with a heavy focus on diving fundamentals
- Instruction on the key elements of diving: hurdle/take off, flipping/twisting, come outs and entries
- Individual analysis and evaluation
- Lectures on nutrition and mental preparation
- Dryland and strength training and conditioning
- Video analysis using state of the art sideline scout technology
- A FUN learning experience at one of the nation’s finest academic and athletic institutions.
Sunday, June 25 - Thursday, June 29
Who: Any and all divers, aged 12 - 18
When: June 25-29, 2023
Where: CRWC Diving Well, Iowa City, IA
Check In: 3pm-5pm, Sunday, June 25
Check Out: 11am, Thursday, June 29
What to Bring
- Tennis shoes for dry land conditioning
Participants must also furnish their own towels and toiletry items. When not in a sports session, dress is casual, so bring along your favorite jeans or shorts and summer shirts. It is a good idea to bring extra spending money for soft drinks, snacks, and video games. You may wish to bring an alarm clock and a small fan. We strongly discourage you from bringing any valuables to camp. The camp administration will not cash personal checks from campers. The University of Iowa is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
Diving Camp Checklist
- tennis shoes for dry land conditioning
- You might want extra spending money for snacks, drinks. If you bring extra spending money, please bring small bills, as the Catlett Front Desk will not make change. There is an ATM machine located in Catlett Hall on the bottom floor by the Java House Coffee Shop.
- A pillow, and sheets are provided when staying as a resident in the residence halls, and the rooms are air conditioned. If you have trouble staying cool or warm, you might want to bring a small fan or a light blanket.
- All pay phones have been removed from the CRWC, Field House, and residence halls. If you bring your cell phone, we are not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged property. If you need to make an emergency phone call, contact your counselor or coach and they will assist you.
- Three meals a day are included in your resident fee. You may purchase snacks at the convenience shop, vending machines, or bring snacks from home to keep in your room. There are no refrigerators in the residence hall rooms. The convenience store does sell snacks and drinks, however they are only open at night.
- There is a laundry facility in Catlett Hall for your use, and you will need to purchase a laundry card from the Catlett Hall front desk. The charge for laundry is $1.50 each for washing and $1.00 for each dryer, and you must purchase a card from the front desk. Laundry cards come in $5 and $10 increments, and the front desk does not make change. The convenience store does sell laundry soap, however they are only open at night, so you might want to consider bringing your own laundry soap with you.
- You need to bring a towel, wash cloth and all toiletries necessary in your daily routine. Bring a cover up and shoes to wear to and from the showers. Men's and women's showers are private.
- Breakfast is served at the same time every day before your first session. A counselor will knock on your door to see if you are awake, however if for some reason you want to get up a little earlier, you might want to bring an alarm clock.
Resident campers will be housed in Catlett Residence Hall during their stay at the University of Iowa. The University is pleased to make these housing facilities available to secondary students enrolled in Summer Sports Camps who are mature enough to live independently on campus with limited supervision. At least two Sports Camp counselors are housed on all occupied floors during your camper 's stay. The counselors will perform bed checks every night and wake up campers in the morning. There is a complete Residence Halls Guide Book available to download using the link below, and we will be happy to mail you a copy. Catlett Front Desk offers an attendant from 7am - 2am daily. You can contact them at (319) 335-1249.
Lost room key fees and any room damages billed to the University will be passed along to the camper. The current lost room key rate is $25.00.
Catlett Residence Hall is located at:
350 North Madison Street
Iowa City, IA 52242
Check-in will be on level 3.
TEAM OR GROUP HOUSING INFORMATION
If you are coming to camp as a team or group, please fill out the Team Housing Form. This will enable us to assign rooms near each other and give you a compatible roommate, so your stay at camp will be enjoyable.
ADDITIONAL OVERNIGHT HOUSING
If you need to arrive a day before your camp start date or stay a night after the camp has concluded, we offer housing for $75.00 per night, per camper. Meals and supervision are not included in the $75.00 fee. Meals are available within walking distance of the dormitories. Supervision by camp counselors begins at check-in and concludes at check-out.